Tuesday 31 May 2011

zürich in rain

photo credit: ditav_v on Flickr
I was bicycling in light rain this morning when my mind took me back to Zürich, where I spent a year when I was younger. Zürich is one of those cities where I instantly felt at home. In certain kind of rain – I call it European rain which probably makes no sense at all – my mind always takes me back: I'm walking the narrow cobbled streets with an umbrella, wearing a long dark olive green anorak. In my bag there is usually a travel book and a novel. I find a café where I can enjoy looking out the window. I order hot chocolate (back then I didn't drink latte) and a slice of chocolate cake or pancake and then I simply sit there as long as I want, feeling at ease.

I found a photo of Zürich in rain as soon as I got home. To my wonderful surprise I also found a blog, MyKugelhopf, written by food and travel writer Kerrin Rousset who lives in Zürich. It contains so many beautiful photos of the city, food, etc. I've already added it to my 'UK & Europe' blogroll.

9 comments:

  1. This was such a lovely post. I felt it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would love for our family to do a stint in Zurich...maybe one day. Sounds lovely.

    There is a great product giveaway and natural website you might be interested on the blog today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to spend a year there! The world really is your home isn't it;) Beautiful photo. Now of to checking out that bog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! I visited Zurich many years ago and would like to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean when you write "European Rain"....it reminds me of a night I spent in Barelona, hiding out in a little cafe while the rain pounded against the glass. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    I've always wanted to visit Zurich, but all I've seen so far is the airport ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Switzerland for a year- About a 45 min train ride from Zurich- lovely place.
    Nice to find your blog- I found you via Heather's blog-

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful short story! Beautiful image! I'm checking out the blog right now. ps: I've left some awards on my blog for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zurich is a very nice city! My brother lives in Zurich and he is very happy there.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.