Friday 1 June 2012

space


I have another weekend advice for you. We all need space and by space I don't mean a spacious home, I'm referring to solitude, time for ourselves. When I need space I like going alone to a café. I bring my notebook and a magazine or a book, sometimes my laptop. I like finding a window seat and I sit there all by myself without anyone bothering me. I only need an hour or two and then I return home rejuvenated. If this is something you never do then try it this weekend and if you have a partner and children then give your partner the opportunity to get some space too. Getting space is essential.

If you expected to find fashion on the blog today then please note that I have moved those posts to Wednesdays and changed the name. I would like to thank you for the kind comments on NOTES À LA MODE 01. As I'm taking the weekends off from blogging I will use Fridays to wish you a good weekend and give you some personal advice to get you to slow down just a bit. I will try to find a photo that relates to the content of the post and today Tsuguharu Foujita's painting fitted well. My advice on Fridays will not essentially be something I plan to do during the weekend myself, it will just be something short and simple which works well for me.

Just because I was asked if I had followed my own advice in my Saturday post then let me give you this answer: I can honestly say that I did with only one exception. Instead of trying a recipe I hadn't tried before I made something I hadn't made in a long time. And the TV thing is easy because I never watch TV unless there is something special going on. The last time I watched it was 26 February when I watched the Oscars. There was a time in my life when I watched TV every day and I followed endless series; I even watched the reruns. One day I realised what an utter waste of time it was. With the TV off it felt I had gained so many extra hours in the day, I started going earlier to bed and felt more energised. I dare you to try it, try one week without TV, don't even watch the news. Keep it off entirely and see how it affects your life.

 HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND DEAR READERS AND BLOG FRIENDS 

photo credit:
The Cafe by Tsuguharu Foujita (1886-1968) via AllPosters.com

10 comments:

  1. Do you know the expression "couch potatoes"? Well, if I remember correctly, it is the person that live his/her life in front of the TV. I was luckily enough not to have a TV during the faculty, so my bad habit: watching TV, died. Even since and even if my BF wanted a big TV, I am only watching films and one TV series, on Tuesday (now). This weekend will be about friendship again as I am visiting my faculty town where there is the Transylvania International Film Festival (TIFF)! Have a great weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly ever watch tv - not like the old days, numerous series' that were always scheduled for each night of the week. I actually went back to listening to music again, reading, making something, baking. Its' so much more calming. In my space there is a latte, a few new magazines, and sometimes the quiet snip snip of scissors when I go to the hairdresser. Enjoy your new found freedom on the weekend! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wishing you a wonderful weekend too. and I fully agree with your advice. I try to either go for a long walk or to a cafe to just be alone, in a different environment than home. works wonders!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful piece of advice! Whenever I feel I need a break from the office or from my home work space I go to a cafe and work from there. And sometimes I like to leave the laptop behind and take just my notebook. One more thing: these hours are always very productive. I stopped watching TV a few years ago and that feeling of having so many more hours to put them to good use is so familiar to me. I only watch it when it's something I'm very interested about, like the Oscars, some coverage from the Cannes Film Festival or Roland Garros (this is the first week of the French Open).

    Have a beautiful weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giving up TV is hard. I know I watch it way too much and I often think about all the other, more productive, things I could be doing besides sitting in front of the TV. I'm going to work on slowing it down. It's not going to be easy....but I'm going to try : )
    And speaking of space, I love going to a bookstore, getting a coffee, and walking around. That's my favorite thing to do when I need to escape. One hour is all I need. It really works!

    Danielle xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Góð áminning. Geri þetta alltof sjaldan en maður fær svo sem ekki mikinn frið á kaffihúsunum hérna :) En ég finn með 3 barni að ég þarf oft að komast út ein í gönguferð. Þá bjargar 1 hringur í skóginum mér alveg. Horfi aldrei á sjónvarp en er þeim mun meira í tölvunni :/ Þarf að breyta því. Líst mjög vel á nýtt föstudagsfyrirkomulag hjá þér og hlakka til að lesa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Lisa!! I'm just back from another trip to your side of the pond and must say your words here are so refreshing. I'm going to take your advice and spend some time aloe, although it will probably be in my own lovely garden instead of a cafe. I couldn't agree more about TV. I haven't owned one for years and am so much the better for it. It's a time and energy and happiness drain. I hope more of your readers try doing without it. Not watching TV is my #1 productivity "secret"!

    Have a lovely weekend, my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, Lisa. I also wrote once about this 'time for yourself, to reboot, focus on your inner voice, get yourself back into balance'. I think it is crucial to be happy and satisfied and to regain power and vigor for the daily duties and tasks. Have a very happy one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's lovely that you're taking weekends out - that is what they were made for! I stopped watching TV a while ago too and I really don't miss it at all. I make an exception for one show, but other than that half hour my life is TV free - I'd much rather read a book or get outside.
    Looking forward to Notes a là Mode!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree Lisa; I always feel so rejuvenated after spending time alone + I crave solitude if I have had a crazy day at work, surrounded by chaos. I'm also with you on the no TV rule. I rarely watch television these days + tend to catch up on my favourite shows online when I have a spare moment, rather than having a particular ritual of watching tv every evening. Its amazing how much time you get back! xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comment appears on the blog after approval. Comments with commercial links are reported as spam.